Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The sounds of modern times -- transport

To write a blog on "early history" I have to think a lot about "modern times," as one defines the other.

I've spent time in three different places over the last month, and I noticed as I fell asleep that the night soundscape was dominated by the sound of modern transportation.

It's pretty quiet at my country home on the edge of Northern Ontario, and there are animal sounds like dogs barking and occasionally wolves howling. The most regular sounds are those of the CP/CN railway that ties the country together and which created its modern economy. Of course cars go by, too, but their occasional noise is not as impressive or as characteristic as the train horns.

I spent a couple of weeks in a medium-sized southern Ontario city and falling asleep there I heard lots of cars, but, much more exciting, the sound of ocean-going freighters passing. The engines of those ships are very quiet from a distance but the horns are musical and loud.

I spent two more weeks at a campground in a rural part of the United States, with about 10,000 others (details later). During the days, human sounds -- music, talking -- dominated but as people slowly went to sleep the huge river-like noise of a nearby interstate and its constant truck traffic emerged to fill the night. You wondered why you had heard it more loudly earlier. Loud as it was, it was just part of the background of modern life, unremarkable until everything else was subtracted.

Image: The ship American Fortitude, which I saw earlier this year.

5 comments:

Sacramento Taxi Yellow Cab said...

Hi Dear,

Thank you a lot for providing individuals with an extremely remarkable opportunity to read articles and blog posts from this website. It is often so excellent and also jam-packed with a great time for me and my office fellow workers to visit your web site really thrice in 7 days to learn the latest stuff you will have. And of course, I’m so actually pleased with the remarkable opinions served by you. Selected two areas in this posting are particularly the most suitable I have had.Sacramento Airport Taxi Service 25% discount when Booking airport taxi service online!. SACRAMENTO AIRPORT FLAT RATES NOW AVAILABLE.24 hour call dispatch taxis. Online reservations.

sacramento airport taxi flat rate

Truckparts Sydney / Brisbane said...


Hi dear,

Thank you for this wonderful post. It is very informative and useful. I would like to share something here too.The best selection of Japanese truck and bus parts Shop Now TRUCK PARTS SYDNEY & BRISBANE Looking for parts to suit your Hino, Isuzu, or Mitsubishi Fuso, then Truckparts Sydney / Brisbane have you covered. We cover the full range of all cab parts from headlamps to bumpers, dash boards&hellip.

hino truck parts sydney

bowersasphalt said...

I read your post and got it quite informative. I couldn't find any knowledge on this matter prior to. I would like to thanks for sharing this article here.Asphalt Parking Lot Repair

loadcad said...

Great job for publishing such a nice article. Your article isn’t only useful but it is additionally really informative. Read more info about Find Automobile Transporters Online. Thank you because you have been willing to share information with us.

happywheelsmoving said...

I will share it with my other friends as the information is really very useful. Keep sharing your excellent work. Read more info about moving help service provider Charlotte